Google Search

Google

Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Car Robbery Tactic!

I left the office EB1 tower, Cyberjaya at around 5:30pm. After driving for a short distance, before the Lim Kok Wing corner, I heard some kind of sound from the car. Initially, I thought the sound was from another vehicle driving along side with me but when I switched off my loud music, I could hear it louder and it was actually coming from my car. As I hated to stop to inspect, thanks to all the scary stories that I heard about the consequences of stopping to check the car out and ended up being robbed, so I continued driving, praying hard that the car could go on the distance back to my place in Petaling Jaya.

After driving past the smarttag booth (toll towards Puchong) the noise was getting real loud and with some wobbling movements. By then, I decided that I really had to stop as I suspected that I had gotten a flat tyre. I turned into some shops area and got down. In a split second I looked down to see the 4 tyres but none of the tyres were flat and I quickly continued on with the journey, feeling more puzzled. I continued to drive slowly for the next 10 km and just when I went up the fly-over towards the Sunway toll (after IOI Mall), my car was out of control, wobbling badly. I had to control the steering wheel and braked real hard and finally brought the car to a stop. Thank God, I managed to bring the car to the left lane but almost being knocked from behind due to the sudden halt. I put on my hazard light and tried to start moving again... but the car gave such a loud grinding sound that I decided not to.

I immediately called my mechanic to arrange for a tow truck. I locked all doors and remained seated and just prayed hard. Within minutes, the LDP tow truck and the LDP peronda guy on the bike came to me and asked me what had caused my car to stop. They had to tow my car to a safer place (petrol station next to Sunway toll) while waiting for my own tow truck to arrive.

When we were at the petrol station, the guys and my tow truck driver asked me how I could drive the car with no nuts fastened to the left back tyre. We found that all 6 nuts on the tyre rim had gone missing and my tyre was falling off. Finally, the car was towed to the mechanic shop and the mechanic told me that for sure the nuts on the tyre rim were loosened on purpose as it was impossible to have loose nuts on the tyres. He told me that it was a very common tactic now used by the bad guys. They will loosen some of the nuts and then pounce on the victim to rob them, as soon as the driver stops to check out the car.


I made a police report and apparently, there were 2 reported cases about tyres problem... whereby one car had 4 tyres missing and the other car with 2 tyres missing.. The police said probably these people were after my tyres but did not manage to remove any or using this cruel way to rob the driver.


Although I was badly shaken and shocked... I really thanked God that I was safe and just had to repair the crooked tyre disc and replaced the missing nuts. It was really a miracle to be able to drive the car for the next 10km without a flying tyre, which may have caused a nasty accident along the way. Glory indeed to GOD for his protection!


Please pass this around to warn others too...


Email from Karen Young

No comments: